Initiatives for building a low-carbon society
Fiscal 2019 targets and results
Based on the “Aichi 2020 Environmental Action Plan,” we pursued reductions in carbon dioxide to achieve the targets of “The Japan Iron and Steel Federation’s Commitment to a Low Carbon Society” (Phase 1).
Total CO2 emissions were reduced through a combination of reduced production and improved operations.
Total CO2 emissions
(-48,000 tons year-over-year)
Breakdown of energy used in fiscal 2019 (CO2 emissions)
Factors behind changes since last fiscal year
CO2 Improvement factors
|1. Reduced energy consumption
due to reduced production
|2. Reduced energy consumption
due to improved operations through
optimization of steel making materials
|1. Increased energy consumption
due to reduced production and the
resulting drop in steel making
|2. Increased energy consumption
due to reduced production and
the resulting drop in rolling
Energy saving in offices
We conducted the following activities during fiscal 2019. Going forward, we intend to understand, analyze, and carry out follow-ups on the energy-saving effects of the head office building, and make further improvements.
- Summer/winter measures to reduce electricity consumption
- Promoting Cool Biz activities (preset temperature 28°C)
- Promoting Warm Biz activities (preset temperature 19°C)
- Achieving optimal control of each floor of the head office building (improve of lights off and air conditioning control)
- Notifying workers at the head office building of power usage each week
- Using green walls at stores to save energy in summer
- Encouragement from the eco life promotion team to save electricity
CO2 emissions from non-technical divisions
Energy saving through logistics optimization
In accordance with the Energy Saving Act revised in April 2006, we have been working on efficient environmentally-friendly logistics optimization activities after understanding the ow of distribution and reviewing issues.
More specifically, we are visualizing off-premise logistics routes and volumes, and promoting logistics improvements from the perspective of streamlining routes, modal shifts (from land transport to sea transport), and improving loading rates.
From fiscal 2006 to 2019, we achieved a 17% reduction in CO2 emissions per unit from logistics.
- * Modal shiftChanging truck transport to rail and sea transport with low-environmental impacts